Sunday, June 12, 2011

Yo Gabba Gabba Birthday Cake

This was the largest cake I've made. We were trying to figure out how many hours it took me. With baking time of the SEVEN cakes, it was about 16 hours. Crazy huh!? It was fun to do once I had the cakes baked and the fondant/frosting thing figured out. I wanted to use buttercream for all the cakes, but the red frosting, although red, looked funny. It looked separated, like it might if the frosting got hot. So it went under the fondant. I don't like to cover cakes in fondant, I don't like to give someone a cake where they have to eat so much fondant. And I just don't like covering the cakes, I'd rather frost it. But, for the look I wanted, fondant was the best choice for this particular cake.


All the cakes together, at home. I couldn't assemble it until I got to the party.

A picture of the assembled cake at the party, with a cake topper
The three tiers are a 12", 10" and an 8" round cake, the bottom and middle were 2 layers, top was 4 layers. The individual cakes were for the birthday boy and girl. They are 2 layer 6" round cakes. I was able to use frosting for most of the little cakes(I love the little green monster).

No comments:

Post a Comment